What has approximately 6000 prayer books, 2373 chicken dinners, 200+ NFTY teens, 800 volunteers, 541 congregations, 55 states and provinces and President Barack Obama? Yes, it’s the URJ Biennial in Washington, DC! Aaron, Beth, Brett, Howard and 5,997 other Reform Jews are all headed there this week!
Biennial is where Reform Jews gather to learn, pray, share ideas, dance and sing, hear from inspiring guest speakers, reunite with old friends, make new connections, and make decisions about the policies of the Reform Movement.
If you’re joining us this week, be sure to say hi! If you’re not able to be here, don’t worry. For the first time ever the virtual Biennial experience brings you all of the highlights live – including a speech from President Obama!
The Biennial Goes Social!
- Follow us on Twitter at #URJBiennial and #EdSummit11
- Read daily updates on the blog at rj.org
- Watch new video highlights from the Biennial daily on YouTube.com/URJweb
- Like us to view photos and updates on Facebook at facebook.com/ReformJudaism
- Vote for your favorite photos in the Biennial photo contests at facebook.com/ReformJudaism and facebook.com/ARZAUS
- Follow the NFTY program at nfty.org/blog
Watch the major Biennial sessions – including the pleanary with President Obama – LIVE!
- All plenary sessions and forums will be webcast on the internet for viewing at your convenience on the internet at urj.org/biennial11/webcast. Many sessions will be live, others available just hours after they end. Tune in to watch!
- Also, the same sessions will be available on cable on JLTV (check your local listings for the channel on your cable provider).
- Chairman’s Address: Peter J. Weidhorn, Chairman, Union for Reform Judaism Board of Trustees
- Campaign for Youth Engagement Kickoff Presentation: Rabbi Jonah Pesner, Director of Presidential Transition, Union for Reform Judaism
- The Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism: Celebrating 50 Years of Social Justice Leadership
- Keynote: The Honorable Barack Obama, President of the United States
- Rabbi Micah Greenstein, Temple Israel, Memphis, TN
- Cantor Jennifer Frost, B’nai Jehoshua Beth Elohim, Deerfield, IL
Shabbat morning- 10:00 A.M.–12:30 P.M. Morning T’filah
- PRESIDENTIAL SERMON: Rabbi Eric H. Yoffie, President Union for Reform Judaism
Sunday morning- 8:45–10:30 A.M. Closing Plenary
- Incoming Chairman’s Address: Stephen Sacks, Chairman-elect, Union for Reform Judaism Board of Trustees, Temple Shalom, Chevy Chase, MD
- A New Vision for a New Era Presentation: Rabbi Rick Jacobs, President-elect, Union for Reform Judaism, and members of the Transition Team